Takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes to prepare if you chop vegetables while lentils are cooking; serves at least 6.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 8 cups of water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 large potatoes
- 4-5 large carrots
- 1 10-ounce bag of chopped spinach, or 1 large bunch
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- Cayenne pepper (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt (add to individual taste)
- Lemon juice
1. Place lentils and water in a large pot, bring to boil and turn to low heat; cover and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Add onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots and cook for 30 more minutes.
3. Add spinach and spices and cook for 10 more minutes (add spinach a little earlier if it is fresh).
4. Add salt and lemon juice to individual servings, to taste.
You can add 1/2 cup more lentils to make a thicker soup or 1/2 to 1 more cup of water to make it thinner.