- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white whole wheat plus 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose)
- 1 1/2 -2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp flax seed meal (opt.)
- ¾ cup-1 cup sugar (3/4 cup for a tarter taste; 1 cup for sweet; I used 1 scant cup)
- Juice of 3 small oranges (= 1 large orange) –OR- use ¾-1 cup orange juice (start with ¾ cup; once liquid & dry ingredients have been mixed, add more if necessary to achieve a moistened, non-dry batter)
- 1 TBS flaxseed meal plus 3 TBS water, combined & set aside –OR- 1 Ener-G brand egg replacer “egg”
- 1 ¾ cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp orange zest (about 2 small oranges worth)
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup chopped, toasted walnuts (opt.)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (opt.)
Preheat oven to 400 F
- Pre oil muffin cups using butter, spray or oil or use paper liners.
- Start by combining dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking powder, sugar & opt. toasted nuts & opt. coconut); Mix well
- Fold in chopped cranberries.
- Combine wet ingredients (oil, orange juice, zest, flaxseed “egg”)
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until moistened/combined.
- Fill muffing cups 2/3 full.
- Bake @ 400 F 12-15 minutes until tops of muffins spring back when touched and are golden brown. Enjoy!
Yields 12 muffins
Submitted by: Ashley I.